Dangerous Halloween Candies For Dogs

Photo of author
Written By Editorial Staff

Veterinary Experts

Halloween is just around the corner, so we decided to put out a list of candies you must keep away from your dog.

Sugary candies are almost always toxic for dogs in large amounts. While dogs can eat small quantities of some types of sugars, anything more than 0.35oz or 10g will usually result in toxicity and can be harmful to your dog.

Any candy with “Xylitol” as an ingredient is poisonous for your dog. So please take note of that.

USA Today recently published an article outlining the top 10 Halloween candies by sales in the US. Many of these will likely be part of your Halloween celebrations too.

List of Halloween candies dangerous for dogs in more significant quantities (>0.35oz or 10g):

  • Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups 
  • Skittles
  • M&M’s
  • Starburst
  • Hot Tamales
  • Sour Patch Kids
  • Hershey Kisses
  • Snickers
  • Tootsie Pops 
  • Candy corn

Avoid in all quantities: 

  • Any Xylitol based candy or gum (typically labeled sugar-free)
  • Dark Chocolates
  • Raisins
Dangerous Halloween Candies For Dogs_2
Dangerous Halloween Candies For Dogs

Please note the resultant toxicity will depend on the weight and size of your dog and the quantity of these candies consumed. Refer to our Chocolate Toxicity Chart to get an idea of the relationship between toxic reaction severity and quantity, type of chocolate, and dog weight.

The toxic symptoms will start showing up in a few hours and may include vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, elevated heartbeats, tremors, and hypoglycemia, amongst others.

If you suspect your dog has inadvertently gotten hold of your candy basket and eaten some of these candies, reach out to your vet immediately or call Animal Poison Control at (888) 426-4435 – ASPCA.

Was this article helpful?